Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cooler Weather = Homemade Bread!



I love that there is a cool breeze in the air.  I can practice baking breads again!  I am fairly new to baking homemade bread.  And still finding myself making mistakes.  So far though most have been edible! ;)

Here is a couple photos and a recipe for a toasted oatmeal bread I made.  This was so good and will definitely be on my list to make time and time again.   And can I tell you how good my home smelled with this baking!

Toasted Oatmeal Bread

1  1/3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 c buttermilk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 TBSP softened butter
3 1/3 cups bread flour
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water
veg oil for coating bowl

1.  Coat bowl with veg oil. Set aside.

2.  Spread oats in a shallow backing pan.  Bake in a 350°  for 15 -20 minutes or until light brown, stirring occasionally.  Cool.

3.  Dissolve yeast into lukewarm water.  Set aside to bloom.

4.  Sift together flour, salt.  Mix in sugar and butter.  Add in oats.  Stir to mix.

5.  Add milk and water/yeast. Stirring until dough pulls away from the edge of the bowl.

6.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth.

7.  Put in the bowl coated in veg. oil.  Cover and place somewhere warm to rise until doubled.

8.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and punch down with fist.  Shape into a ball or whatever shape you want.  Place on parchment paper or cookie sheet and cover and place somewhere warm til doubled in size.

9.  Use a serated knife and make small slits on top of loaf.

10.  Brush top of dough gently with beaten egg/water mixture.

11.  Sprinkle with a light topping of quick oats.

12.  Bake in 450F oven until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Approx. 30 minutes.  Should your loaf darken too much cover with foil til done.  I covered mine and reduced the oven temp to 350° for the last 10 minutes.

13.  Cool on wire rack.

I left for a while after I took the initial photo to run to the store.  I came home and half the loaf was gone.  I guess it was good! ;)   Actually it is...I had a sandwich made with this bread for my dinner and it was delicious. :)

I'm not sure why it looks to have that yellow hue in the inside must have been the lighting.  It's more just a creamy white.

 Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...